Proposal topic

My topic is about  our healthcare system having many flaws. I would propose a method which can try to make sure more people can have access to treatment for a cheaper cost. As we have seen during the peak of the pandemic, the state was running short on ventilators . I have found many articles about engineers talking about this.  Manufacturing a ventilator is difficult, especially during a pandemic, when supply lines are unreliable. Different designs negotiate different bargains between cost and functionality. Also, it is very invasive when used used on a patient. What I have found is that we need to keep the device as minimalistic as possible.  “The ventilators used in today’s I.C.U.s are expensive, in large part because they are configurable. Newer models have touch screens that allow clinicians to change and track dozens of parameters, carefully adjusting how breaths are delivered. It might be possible to build a pared-down ventilator that did nothing but provide A.P.R.V., to be used when the supply of fancier ventilators ran out.”  We must start using cheaper material and make fewer parts.  The idea is that a constant flow of oxygen is fed into a Y tube in a way that causes the Coanda Effect to make it stick to one wall and come out the opposite leg of the Y that has a mask (or airway) attached.  As the lungs expand, they develop back pressure which destroys the Coanda Effect, diverting flow to the other (exhaust) leg of the Y and allowing the lungs to deflate.  Once the back pressure is gone, the initial flow pattern re-establishes. This is a very simple method of using ventilators quickly. There is still a lot more research to be done on my part. As Covid-19 cases are rising again in NYC, it cannot have the same issue again. It is predicted that the second wave can be much worse than the first.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/18/the-engineers-taking-on-the-ventilator-shortage